SEND Policy

Special Educational Needs (SEN) - Complaints


If you want to complain about our Academy’s SEN support, you should do so whilst your child is still registered at Ellison Boulters CE Primary Academy


This includes complaints that the Academy has not provided the support required by your child’s SEN statement or education, health and care (EHC) plan.


How to Make a complaint


Follow these steps in order.

Move on to the next step if your complaint is not resolved.


1. Talk to the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENDCO).

2. Follow the complaints procedure which can be found on this website.

3. Complain directly to the Education Funding Agency.

'Let your light shine' - Matthew 5, Our values are Friendship, Respect, Happiness, Honesty, Understanding and Responsibility.